Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Decision Made

For the last four years I have lived abroad in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. For the most part it has been ok. Well, not ok in the sense that it was easy… it wasn't. It isn't. But the last 14 months have been the best I have had since I arrived.
School reform and changing from a third world to a first world country takes time, patience and, with out saying… education. The road is long and the end of it is not in sight. I doubt I am here to see it.

Should I stay, or should I go? One of my favorite dance tunes and lyrics has been my mantra of late.
The original plan was the two year contract with hopes of it lasting 5 years.
The end of this year will be 5 years.
I bought a house in my home town in Texas, 3 ish years ago, so I added a year to get it paid for before I leave (5 year loan).
Most of my friends have gone, making new friends requires more here than you could ever expect… so not an easy task.

In August, some friends of mine asked me to watch their dog while they were out of town, oh and drive their car until they returned in 3 weeks. They have a VW Jetta. I liked it, I liked it a lot.
I did.
I told them I hadn't considered a VW as a car choice (unless it was a vintage one) until I drove theirs.
They got a great deal, on 0% financing and said it was a promotion that comes around in the fall.

Last week, as I was driving to work in my rented POS that is the cheapest I can get, and even for a Honda, is like driving a cracker box.
No cruise control
No USB port
No Window tinting (really important in the hot desert)
No camera or backing up warning signals
No road noise reduction
No sunroof (I know, silly me, even in the desert I want one)
No arm rest
No No No

but I digress, as I was driving to work, the advertisement for the VW promotion was playing on the radio.
Without missing a beat, I said, out loud "I am buying a car".
The bigger picture?
I am staying at least two more years, which means three school years including this one. Maybe more.
I could go home, and I know plenty of people who have. Many who are doing fine and many who wish they hadn't left.
I cannot work the hours I work, live with the low bills I have and make the money I make here if I move home to Texas. So… work more hours, make less money, probably not teaching as they don't want to pay me for my years… ? why would I do that?

So yes, I made a decision. I bought a 2016 Volkswagen Jetta, Blue with white and black leather interior and I haven't even seen it in person yet.

No comments: