Friday, January 8, 2016

Developing Skills

As part of my PDP (professional development plan) at work,  I am to give staff development sessions on how to implement or ways we could use materials in our class in centers. 

Disclaimer: Yes, this post is written from the professional side of my life and yes, we do more paperwork that has nothing to do with teaching than you can imagine. 

So I wrote an email in November to my principal saying something to the effect that I am available for giving SDS (Staff Development Sessions) for the other teachers and if given the opportunity, I would, but if I wasn't given the opportunity, I would expect to not be "marked down" for not doing it. 

So she gave me an opportunity. The week of Professional Development in the first week of January, before students return the next week. 

It went very well. Teachers seemed to really enjoy it and the feedback was very positive. 

I enjoyed it. I remembered how much I enjoy doing presentations as a facilitator and "expert" within my classroom. I honestly may choose to do something similar when I move back to Texas. 

What I learned? Putting together 5 or more provocations (centers, materials, etc.) take a long time to set up and and break down and put up. I was exhausted the day I set up and the day I presented for our staff and packed up all the materials. 
I was exhausted setting up, presenting to a neighboring school, and packing up the materials again. 

I may need more practice…lol 

I had a great time. I enjoyed sharing what I have experienced and talking to other teachers. 

Next time, at least here, I will have a helper I hope. 

What makes it worth it? The positive response by a coworker I respect and admire. That's right, just one person made it all worthwhile. Your peers are always the hardest to present information or stand up and speak in front of. 

No comments: