Thursday, August 11, 2011

Easy as Pie

Chocolate Icebox Pie from the Tip Top Cafe in San Antonio
Having never lived outside of Texas, much less the United States, you might think I would be nervous, or scared, or even a bit looney.

When in fact, it has been quite easy (after jumping through all the proverbial hoops) to prepare for and look forward to. Saying goodbye hasn't even been difficult, because I feel like I will communicate with everyone easily enough once I am in Abu Dhabi.
It has been a whirlwind-ish two weeks, filled with time with friends, meals at favorite restaurants and attention to the details of having "it" all together and ready to go.

Now, some darn good meals, some much more expensive than others have passed my lips of late.
However, the tastiest was the tried and true Tip Top Cafe. My friend, RJ, introduced me to the (or one of the) oldest and best restaurants I know, so it was only fitting that we go there as our last outing before I leave the country. Onion rings to start, as usual, tough decision on the dinner but we both ordered the chopped steak (best anywhere) with brown gravy and grilled onions. But nothing beats their chocolate ice box pie. I order mine as soon as I sit down, because they tend to sell out sometimes, and I missed it one time.... learned my lesson then. It is so loved and ordered often that you can't even buy a whole pie, and they limit how many pieces one person can order to eat in, or carry out.

As each delicious morsel melted in my mouth, thoughts of Ya (my mother) came to mind and how she enjoyed her cream pies right up until the end. A tear started to form, and then RJ and I discussed regular business of the day and my sentimental thoughts dissipated.

A few days later, while enjoying a decadent meal with another old friend, he shared how his mother's doctor, who is German, gave her advise to move towards quality of life and not quantity of life, as she is in her 80's. It was so heartwarming to hear a Dr. thought what my mom and I thought after we found out her days were numbered and her pleasures few.

When my days are numbered, please do not deny me pie or other decadence. I am here for the quality of life, not quantity.

Now, as I board a plane tomorrow, keep in mind, I love all my friends, my boys, and those who have truly touched my life and are now gone from it, for whatever reason. My choice to leave, whether you agree with it or not, is MY choice. Because I choose quality of life and adventure of seeing new places, meeting new people and learning new things, preparing for it and looking forward to it was as easy as pie and just as sweet.

No comments: