Saturday, October 15, 2011

Driving Miss Cindy

In the late 60's and early 70's my family traveled to Mexico several times a year. Well, at least once a year. A family of five in a four door Oldsmobile, or Ford Station Wagon, whichever we had at the time, with a poodle name Tommy, would trek across Texas to Piedras Negras, or Ciudad Acuna for a vacation South of the Border.
Many times we stayed in a motel with a two tone blue motif and a kidney shaped pool and a very dark cantina with tinted glass doors depicting a pink panther. It was a very enjoyable trip every time. Shopping in the market, buying silver charms for my charm bracelet and pressed metal trinkets, blankets, sandals, or whatever else caught our fancy.
At the time, I thought nothing of us driving across the border, nor did I give a thought to how narrow the streets were, much less how crowded. My Daddy just drove like it was no big deal. If he was nervous or worried, it didn't show to me.
We ate at local eateries, huevos rancheros and other local fare, visited a resort cantina with outside tables, huge olympic swimming pool with diving boards, high and low. The bar had animal heads and skins, including a snake skin the length of the bar and a full sized stuffed Grizzly bear. We never stayed there... so I don't know if they had hotel rooms or not, but I know we enjoyed exotic dinners outside, listened and danced to bands at the outside bandstand, and visited nearly every trip.
It seemed very normal at the time as something we "just" did. Now, it seems very magical and exotic compared to stories I hear from some others.
Many times since those early trips I have returned to the border towns of Mexico. One of the most memorable was when I was in college at San Angelo State and my mom drove down and we spent a few days in Eagle Pass and Piedras Negras. We were not brave enough to drive over, so we walked over and took a taxi back.
Another time, my last husband and children drove across and he was so nervous, I had to drive. It was then I realized and remembered the narrowness of the streets and craziness of the drivers. It was a short drive, parking and then driving back across the border after a day of shopping and eating. An educational experience for all.

This year I am in the UAE and so much of my experiences here are similar to the ones from trips to another country with my family. New foods, staying in the country and experiencing the culture... but also, now, driving in another country.
Last weekend, my partner teacher in the same grade level and I rented a car to drive in Abu Dhabi and back to our flat on Delma Island. There aren't many destinations we would need a car for, but the few we do have, are more easily traversed if we do have a vehicle with a motor and air conditioner. Early in our discussion of how we wanted things to go, it was decided I would drive and she would navigate... it worked out well.
As usual, the fear was greater than the reality. Riding with taxi drivers who drive like bats had me worried about the defensiveness needed as a driver. The crazy things I see other drivers do without concern had me thinking of what the traffic laws actually say, but driving in the UAE is not that difficult... most of the time.

As I drove the 3 hour drive from Abu Dhabi to our ferry to the Island we call home, my thoughts drifted to my daddy and what he would think of his little girl.... on the other side of the world, driving in a country that seems to have stood still in time for the last 40 years in so many ways, and what he would say.

He would smile this silly grin I see on my youngest son's face sometimes and in a happy voice "well look at you, young'un... when are you going to cross the equator too?" and of course he would ask if the beer here is different and warn me not to fall for any of the men.

Haven't seen a UAE beer and even though some of the men are attractive, I just keep driving along.


1 comment:

lou said...

My family too traveled to Mixico every year. When I got on my own in the 70s, I traveled a lot. And now I do say that I miss the excitement of those places. It hurts all peace loving people to see just how the world has changed to a very violent place. Thanks for the post.