Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin Carving Party

Big J, and his bride, invited me to such a party one year, right after my mother died. I was reluctant to go, but at the same time, knew I should get out rather than moping around the house.
Not knowing what to expect, due to their son being one of my small charges during the week, I took some sodas, or cokes, or as they say for anything carbonated in the UAE, pepsi(s) and my favorite coconut flavored spirit... just in case.
It was a blast. There were small children there, but all the adults were indulging in the holiday spirit as well. It was good for me to get out.
Scary pumpkin faces all around.
Funny pumpkin faces were too.
Carving tools, messy guts, children laughing, adults having fun. It was a fun time and a tradition I chose to adopt, even if I couldn't be there with them for it.
So, Friday night, a small group of us gathered to enjoy our own party.
Pumpkins, as I know them, are hard to come by in the UAE. But don't doubt if I found one, even though it cost more than if I had bought 10 of them at home. (The saved seeds will grow many pumpkins for next year)
No fancy carving tools, no patterns other than what I could see on the computer screen and a little while later there was a jack-o-lantern on the table.
Looking evil, I was told he was.
Named him Darth Vader after my favorite pun'kin carving partner, Lil' J.

I have often wondered why I have really enjoyed this new tradition more than any other holiday and last night I figured it out. It is a new one, with no memories of past ones with my mother.
Having always loved the holidays, I hope to make new traditions and enjoy them once again... in this year and the next few.

No comments: